Saturday, June 16, 2007

From Eesti with Love

I've just arrived from Moscow to Tallinn, Estonia to have an internship with Hansabank. By the way, my bank's logo was the first thing I saw when I came out of the train.

The 18-hour trip by train was ok. My neighbours in the car turned out to be former dwellers of Almaty, Kazakhstan, but now they live in Belgorodskaya Oblast. They've presented me Kazakhstan as a fast-developing and friend country, so that now I want to visit it. They say that many Russians who have moved to Russia are now going back to Almaty, as they have much more better opportunities and level of life there. The other neighbour was a man, who family was travelling in the next kupe. He didn't speak at all, but he was snoozing so loudly! I can't imagine how his relatives can sleep at night.

What are my first imperessions of Estonia? Well, it's not so different from Russia. There are Soviet-style blocks of flats, rusty factories, and drunked people on Sunday morning. I've seen many people speaking Russian. Of course, all train stations are like this, so that I hope to see real Europe soon.

I will share a 3-room flat with a Japanese, a Venezuelian, and a Brazilian - Hugo. The latter will go travelling in two weeks, so that he has suggested me to stay at his place as a sign of gratitude for my help in Moscow. However, now I'm sitting in the flat of Ankur, an Indian guy who has met me at the train station. Now he is sleeping, and it has taken me 30 min to fix his charging cable, so that I can use the lap top know. It's good that we are taught about electronic connections at schools.

Hugo will come from Parnu in the afternoon, so that I'll be able to move to my flat then. When Ankur wakes up, I'll go shopping and get to know Tallinn more.

No comments: