Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It blows my mind

The conflict between South Ossetia and Georgia is changing rapidly, so are my views. Now it's clear it's nothing more than a conflict between the US and Russia. We have been forced to get engaged in it, but, unfortunately, it's now it's difficult to stop Russian hawks, as russofobic rethoric and provocations go on appearing. These two superpowers use the same tactics and similar brainwashing in their game; the difference is that the US deliver it under "democracy" sauce". It's a pity that Georgia is just a pawn here, which most of Georgian don't realize.

This is my response to a Georgian girl who sent a letter to 500 international students urging them to unite agains the USSR2.



We, as "elite of the elite" should be above "national interests", be objective, and see peace as the only goal of our actions. Unfortunately, many people are still heavily brainwashed, which, I hope, is not the case for us.

I do feel sorry about those Georgians who suffered in this conflic and can understand your despair. However, I would urge to present the situation based on the facts, but not fears that the Georgian government is trying to drive you in. Let's not forget that the aggression was started by the Georgian troops, when they attacked S. Ossetia on September 7 killing about 2,000 people and making about 30,000 people flee the country (reported by S. Ossetian government). As most of them are officially Russian citizens, it has been a mistake of Mr.Saakashvili to hope that Mr. Medvedev and Mr. Putin would just watch the Olympic Games and let this republic and Russia peacekeeping forces be completely destroyed.

There are many "truths" in this conflict. Yes, I agree that the Russian army should not have moved beyond South Ossetia. But the UN observers who are now there say that civil buildings were not bombed, but there was a big deal of marauding, as the local administration ran away of the city, which made this chaos happen. And I have no reason not the believe S. Ossetians who told how Georgians were killing their kids with tanks and committed other terrible crimes, such as blasting the dumb, so that people come up from basements to be killed. Please note that I'm not denying casualties from the Georgian side.

I'm not trying to be Russia's advocate and argue that Russia is not going to establish the Second USSR. This point is not even worthdiscussing, as its complete nonsense in the style of the Cold War. The problem is not about big Russia bulling its neighbours, the problem is about Georgia destroying South Ossetia. I don't like discussing South Ossetia's right for independence, but I think it should be treated the same as Kosovo or even Georgia that separated from the USSR peacefully. And what about US bombing Yugoslavia so that Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, and Macedonia are independent? Why doesn't South Ossetia have the right for independence, for freedom?

We should admit that we live in a cynical world, where global powers play their game, and smaller nations have to take one of the sides. This game has been played for ages in different regions. One of the strategies in this game is to have "a son of a bitch" or a leader that would brainwash the population and incline them to take one of the sides. Sadly to say that US and Russia have practiced this strategy. It was the case in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and now in Georgia. Believe me or not, but Lenin has been also one of such "leaders", as he lived abroad and received money from the West. The US once supported Usama bin Ladin, as he was the "son of a bitch" to fight with the Soviets.

So, this conflict is still a dirty game of the two big countries, but Russia didn't start it - it has been forced to get involved. Once I was very inspired by Saakashvili, as I thought that he would be a true democratic leades. But after he bit the opposition in Tbilisi, fired lots of its ministers for their views, closed the independent channel Imedi, and organized the massacre in South Ossetia, I'm disappointed. And after he ran away in panic and left the French Foreign Minister alone (he felt a mysterious "Russian" airplane), after he chewed his tie in front of BBC journalists, I would never ever believe him, as he seems to be mentally challenged.

Again, as international leaders, let's ignore the biased media,distance ourselves from nationalistic and Cold War rethoric, and avoid double standards. The collapse of the USSR has been a chance to start a new chapter in international relations. The only obstacle to that is our fears coming from the past and manipulation by politicians. As a citizen of the world, I love Georgia, US, Russia and many countries.

Let peace prevail on earth!

Kind regards from Moscow,

Alexander

PS: I'm not going to argue about this issue, as I'm sick of italready. My mission is to bring positive change in my communities, but not to be part of somebody else's game. I hope you still believe I'm your friend, not a "facist".

No comments: