Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Prejudice is Gone

I've lived without the Internet for 3 days, which means isolation from the world nowadays. Hopefully, I'll get the computer tomorrow. In other terms I'm very happy: it has been a right decision to come to Tallinn, Estonia.

My first working day has been perfect!

I work in one of the most fancy offices in Tallinn, that is very close to the well-know Tonismagi. It's a 12-storeyed building made of blue glass. It takes me about 30 minutes to go there from my flat, where I live with guys from Brazil, Venezuela, Japan, and Estonia. Our house is a Soviet-type block of flats, but we have a big pine-tree park near us.

My colleagues are very active, friendly and happy about the fact that I've come. I work basically with Estonians, but there are some Russians, who seem to be not so sociable. Everybody speaks very good English, even ladies in the kitchen. So, the famous stereotype of Estonians as slow and mean people has gone for me.

Today Rait, one of my colleagues has showed me the city center. However, I've managed to explore it all for 2 days. It's so nice! Old houses, chirches, paved streets, stairs, towers... You feel like you are in the Middle Ages. Everything is very close and small. I've been to Viru, Tallinn's "big" shopping center, but it's so small in Moscow terms.

Even though the conditions are nice, I feel a bit lonely and sad for no reason. I can see lots of Russians and want to talk with them, but I'm afraid it will be strange. Yesterday I went to the Russian Orthodox Cathedral named after Alexander Nevsky to put candles. When I was listening to the Old Russian spiritual songs, tears came out of my eyes.

It would be easier to go somewhere like Bolivia, where nobody speaks your language. I cannot distinguish Russians and Estonians from their appearance, so that I don't know in what language I should approach. Today one seller has preferred to speak English rather Russian with me, even though I saw him speaking Russian.

4 comments:

natasend said...

Hi Alex,
it's great to read your blog...

It is very personal, and I can feel from what you are writing how lonely you might feel there.

I guess it's not only a foreign country but also such a close country, where people normally do understand your language. It's such a pity that the politics influences our lives to such anextend that we cannot have normal contacts but they are always in a context...

I hope that the situation gets better for you and you will have great fun working there!

It is cool that it's such an international environment :)

If by any chance you step by in Poland - you are very welcome!

All the best,

Natalia Sendecka (St. Gallen Symposium '07)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais

Alexander Annaev said...

Hi Natalia!

Things are going better now :) Today I've got the computer, so that I can keep in touch with the world :) My colleagues are really nice, and I'm getting adjusted.

Best regards,

Alex

Anonymous said...

cheapest viagra prices buy viagra cheap where to buy viagra viagra larger forever generic viagra cheap cheapest place to buy viagra online viagra and alternatives viagra without a prescription viagra attorneys online viagra viagra free samples cialis viagra viagra free sites computer find pharmacy viagra