May Peace prevail on Earth
My conversation with a girl X from Estonia
Alexander Annaev
August 9 at 4:49pm
Hey K! I'm suprised you support Georgia, not peace... I can't look at how bombs fall down on houses of sleeping people. I totally agree that all nations deveserve independence, but can't understand why South Ossetia is different from Estonia or Kosovo, for example. Regards, Alex
X
August 9 at 6:18pm
It is not the same. I do support peace.I do not support Russia's constant power plays.What business does it have in all this?Other than trying to put Georgia in its place? I realize my position is quite subjective, but if this happens now with Georgia, who says that one day the Russians living in North-East Estonia won't be motivated to start breaking off from Estonia and declare Independent Nation of Narva for example? And Russia sends their tanks in?
Alexander Annaev
August 9 at 7:20pm
Thanks for your position! But it's not Russia that started this war. Georgia bombed Tskhinvali while people were sleeping - there are more than 2000 casualties, and the town is ruined now. Russia's business in this all is the following: - Russia has an official status of a peacekeeper in South Ossetia - Many South Ossetians have Russian citizenship, and Georgia bombed the peacekeepers' base - Nothern Ossetia is a part of Russia, and its people just can't ignore killing their brothers and sisters beyond the border - South Ossetian government has asked Russia for helpImagine that your neighbour is killing his wife, how would you behave? I think it's the same. You can force people to live in one country if they don't want to. Estonians didn't like like living in the USSR, and I appreciate your independence. Kosovars and Tibetans are claiming for independence, and the international community supports them. But why then South Ossetia and Abkhazia should be forced to be part of Georgia? If the majority of people (and Russians are the majority) in Narva decide to be independent, I would support them, because it will be their choice, and you won't be able to turn them into Estonians. Kind regards, Alex
X
August 9 at 7:38pm
first off nobody wants to turn Russians in Estonia Estonians. You do expect someone settling down in Russia to speak Russian, however, don't you? Why would it be different in any other country?Its about integrity of a territory. In this way, we could say that if Turkish people in Berlin decided they wanted to declare independence. Would Turkey then move its forces to Germany? Would you support that too? This way any nationality can move to any country and declare independence? Wouldn't that be a bit weird? Or what would happen if 20 000 Estonians moved to Russia and wanted to declare independent a zone they are living in?Why is it then that Russia has "consumed" and forced to russify so many of the small nations living in Siberia etc? Why couldn't they also speak freely their languages and practice their culture but have instead been persecuted for years and years and years? This is exactly the same thing. I am not saying that Georgians are angels. There are 100 better ways they could have handled the situation. But it is not easy for any of us having this big neighbour bullying us at any chance it gets. Russia thinks it owns everything in the region. Why else would there still be maps where the great big Russia includes all the former soviet republics? And if Russians are really doing the peace keeping there... why did they move beyond South Ossetia? Why are they bombing civilians in the city of Gori? Why have they entered the territory of the Republic of Georgia? Why are they killing innocent civilians then?I can understand your position and the Russian propaganda machine is one of the most powerful things in the world producing lies and misinformation (something we could feel well a year ago during the bronze soldier events in Tallinn). But in my humble opinion (and I am not saying it is the ultimate truth) in the end it all comes to this that Russia has and will for years to come have a chip on its shoulder against all the former soviet republics.
Alexander Annaev
August 9 at 8:25pm
Thanks for such an active reaction! First of all, I am expressing my own opinion, not Russia's one. I don't expect expect anybody in Russia to speak Russian, besides officials. It's up to everybody what language he/she should speak, but for those who don't speak, it will be a challenge to be competitive on the job market.I think that people's right for self-identification is more important than integrity of a territory, because borders haven't been drawn by God. The main thing is that people are happy. So, I will personally support separtism of Tatarstan or any other republic in Russia, if people their will be happier. I appreciate your effort to appeal to consistency. But let's be consistent! If Albanians settled in Serbia and declared their independence later, why wouldn't South Ossetians, who have been living there for ages, would declare independence, if they have all the characteristics of an independent state?Yes, if Estonians had moved to Russia, settled in a territory, where the would be a majority, and claimed for independence, I would support them. And I'm sure that if they were Estonian citizens, Estonia would interfere (USA, of course, would). But any country should have a policy toward multiculturalism not to allow such concentrated settlements. I dont' like Russia's imperial thinking. But we live in the world, where all countries are controlled by stronger ones. So, if not Russia its place will be taken by the US, China or the Arab world, unfortunately. Georgia has preferred the US, proclaiming democracy, but beating oppostion activists on streets and shutting down independent media.Rights of minor people in Siberia and other regions should be respected. The history is that they have been conquered by Russia, and russification has been a part of the colonial policy. But just a historical reality. You are now living in a country that has been been also conquered. But the people don't blame Spain now and speak Spanish.I agree with you that the Russian propaganda machine is poweful, but many people telling that are at the same time affected by another propaganda machine. Just watch the US news - of course, it's Russia to first attack innocent Georgia! You can also believe in weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Estonian media is of the same type. There are two kinds of news: news of local significance and about monster-Russia. Sometimes you can feel that Russia is responsible even for the bad weather, it looks like paranoia. Sorry for such a long message!Alex
X
August 9 at 9:03pm
I think you cannot understand the position of an Estonian or Georgian or Latvian unless you have been in their shoes. And I am sincerely saying this that I am not sure that one day Russia will not decide to invade Estonia. That is all I am saying. Living under constant fear makes people paranoid and afraid. And Russia has been bullying Georgia for years and years. I dont hate Russia. I dont blame Russia for everything. I believe in the right of a country to be independent. Without being afraid that whatever we do, Russia may decide (under the pretext of "protecting" the russian minority) to attack us. and that is all i will say about these things. Have a nice evening. Greetings from Z
Alexander Annaev
August 9 at 9:17pm
I can understand your position - I lived outside Russia for 2/3 of my life. It's a pity you live in fear and hope you'll get rid of with time, as there is no reason. Hugs, Alex PS: By the way, how do you like living in Z?
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
It's unbelievable. I am living with guzs from Romania and we watch news in the evening together.
When I tell that the things they say in CNN is not true, they say, that surely it is true, CNN is the most independent channel, that Russian just attacks Georgia because of oil pipeline. That it doesnt want to give South Osetia to Georgia the same like Moldova to Romania..and so on...Nobody considers who started this conflict, who gives humanitarina help to Osetians and so on.
I must say georgians here are accusing Russia less that Europeans, they are just afraid for their families in Georgia,
however, other girl told me that Russia attacked Georgia because they want to put Sakaashvili away and put more pro-communistic leader who is looking to good relations of Russia.
Everybody knows his own reason why RUSSIA attacked Georgia.
Unbelievable...
People see what they want to believe.
Post a Comment