Monday, March 19, 2007

Altyn Asyr

Yesterday night I took a train to go to Domodedovo Airport. It was very strange: I was sitting in the car alone, the lights were twinkling, and the doors were slamming. I was a kind of scared, but soon reached the airport to meet my parent who had come from Ashgabat.

Again, I have very mixed feeling about my relations with the country where I live for 14 years and formed as a personality:

  • I'm not a member of this society. I don't speak their language, I don't look like them, I have a completely different mentality. I'm cosmopolitan. So why am I so attached to Turkmenistan?
  • The Asghabat I love doesn't exist any more. There are no narrow streets, cosy yards and intelligent people. What you can see is skyscrapers made of white marble, statues and NO people on the street.
  • People really deserve their rulers. One poor man even died of after crying a lot after the leader's death. If they don't want to think for themselves, why should somebody be so concerned?

Here are some pictures of outskirts of Ashgabat:




No comments: