Molitva / Молитва
I've been so excited about Eurovision Song Contest for the last 3 days, but felt lazy to share my impressions.
Here is Marija's song in Serbian, Russian, and English.
Just some thoughts:
- The Eastern European singers have been more genuine and impressive. The Western signers used many cliches and deviant images, such as those from Sweden and France. Wake up, Europe! But we should admit that New Europeans are more active voters, as their national identities are just forming. The most active voters in the West are national minorities, such as the Turks.
- Polical and geographical influence on the voting still presents. However, I've been surpirised to hear about the highest points from Turkey to Armenia and from Estonia to Russia. In the first case, it might be an excuse after Hrant Dink's murder. I don't belive that Estonia wanted to say sorry after the relocation of the monument, so that the Russian minority must have been active.
- Inspite of all the influences, the Serbian song was really the best! I voted for it for two times. Unlike the Russian girls, Marija is an individuality and great performer on air. Although you can't get the words, but you feel her sencere feelings. This song is about Great Love, but one Russian reporter shamelessly claimed it was about oppression of Serbia by the West.
The ESC is widely used for propaganda.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
The votes from Estonia for Russia comes from ethnic Russians who make up a sizeable minority in that country. There are hundreds of thousands of armenian immigrants (many of them illegal) who work in Turkey. That explains it
oh I loved Eurovision! It gave such a good lesson to Western Europe... I LOVED the creativity and the diversity of the Eastern European songs! And come on! How could UK send such a trash!?!?
Post a Comment