Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Monuments are Alive

This is my reply to Deniss' post. I'm so depressed with what is going on in Estonia. I never thought I would care about this country so much.



We should live today. Unfortunately, occupation has been typical of many stronger nations, not only the Soviet Union. Romans, Arabs, Mongols, Turks, Germans and others tried to conquer Europe. They failed, but we eat Nopoleon pie, which doesn't symbolize his military compaigns. Our generation is not responsible for the past, so that we should open new chapters in international relations.

We should avoid double standars. It's surprising that people are concerned about what happened 50 years ago, but pay no attention to what is going now. Is US releasing Iraq from dictatorship or invading it to get access to it's natural resources? To my mind, it's the same case as with Estonia after the WWII. At the same time, Russia engages in a conflict, when it needs to raise patriotic feelings. In Ashgabat, my native city Soviet monuments and graves were also domolished, but Moscow said nothing, as it needs Turkmen gas.

We should turn down political provocation. Estonian deputees have passed this decision for populism. It doesn't improves lives of today's Estonia citizens, but has led to the great confrontation in the society. Could the forsee the broken shops, injured people, diplomatic conflicts? This is short-sighted policy leading only to the negative. Similarly, Russian populist movements are interested in the escalation of the conflict, which actually worsens the the situation of Russian minority in Estonia.

Now the Estonian Embassy in Moscow doesn't work, but I need to apply for a visa. I didn't know how it happened that I got so engaged in this conflict.

I hope it will end up with peace!

No comments: