Wednesday, May 09, 2007

День победы !!! Victory Day



Today is a unique day: it brings sadness, proudness and happiness at the same time. 63 years ago Nazi Germany capitulated after the attacks of the anti-Hitler coalition. The Soviet Union played a key role in the defeat of this evil, but lost about 27 million people. This was the cost of our freedom.

That is why this day is so important for people from the former Soviet Union. Every single family lost somebody in this terrible war. At that time my Russian grandmother was a kid, but she had just a piece of bread as allowance per a day. Her brother was recruited at 20, but was soon killed in an unknown place.

Nevertheless, our family didn't suffer much from the war in comparison with others. About 6 million Jews were killed by the nazi from 1933 to 1945. It's beyond my comprehension: the nazi made soap of people's fat, used their skins for making gloves, tried new vaccines on them. It might be the reason that the Jews are the majority of Soviet Union Heroes.

I admit that this great victory over evil was followed by the occupation. The USSR and USA, as major winners in that war, allocated the territories of influence. That was the rigid reality of that time, but the poor soldiers, who sacrified their lives for freedom, had nothing to do with that political terror. So, they should be respected and commemorated.

Today I've had a feeling of joy and integrity. Almost all the people I met on the streed had a Georgion tape pinned on their clothes (on the pic). Some girls were so anxious to get them, so that they secretly took them of from cars' antennas. This is a symbol of respect to those who fell during the war. After the 90's, the year of moral decline, the society is changing in a positive way.

Life in Russia is changing. I can assess the whole county, but I've withnessed the development of Perovo, my district in Moscow. When I first came to our local Perovsky park 5 year ago, I saw drunken teenages walking on deserted side-walks. When I come there now, I can see lots of parents with babies, teenagers cycling or skating everywhere, pensioners airing their dogs. It's so green and busy!

Today I went to our park for a Victory Day concert. Most of my neigbours also came there with children to listen to the old, but touching songs of War time. Such concerts've been held across Moscow, including the Red Square, where 30000 people came. Yes, they are used for propaganda, but there is nothing dangerous in propaganda, if it is aimed at peace and integrity.

The culmination of the holiday was great fire-works in 14 locations all over Moscow!

Peace

No comments: